Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"All Eyes On Kritikos"


Angelo Kritikos, an Illinois Institute of Art - Schaumburg student, recently won W Magazine's W: The Art Project Contest. With a contest theme of "obsession," Kritikos' interpretation of raw beauty landed his image in the top 20, where readers placed him in the top 5, and a renowned panel of judges chose his entry as the grand prize winner. His prizes include a W promotional feature in the May issue, a ProShelter website, consultations with Voltz Clarke agency in New York City, and a cash prize! The winning image is of AnneMarie, represented by Factor Women in Chicago. SOMW had the opportunity to ask Angelo a few questions, which he answered below.


When did you begin photography? 

I began shooting film then switched over to digital in college. I took a mixed media class in highschool where I had the opportunity to shoot, develop, and print my own rolls of film. I fell in love with the process and began maturing my eye for composition and lighting. We would take field trips to the botanical gardens, where students would take pictures of all of the plants, trees and ponds. I on the other hand photographed my friends and the students in class.
Was the 'raw' photography concept specific to the W photography contest or do you plan to pursue this type of photography as more of a trademark?
I enjoy polished images, however, I feel that excessive photo-retouching is very distracting. With that said, I am going to pursue this "raw" unretouched style in my upcoming work. I'm infatuated with beauty - from long eyelashes to chapped lips. Why would I photoshop something I'm completely inspired by?

What stands out to you about your experience working with AnneMarie?

Her innocence. It was AnneMarie's first time being in front of the camera and I feel that our photo definitely shows how strong of a connection we had. There was a mysterious quality to her, so instead of giving her direction like I normally would with a first time model, I let her do whatever she wanted. She stood still, so I began to chase her.
To view more of Angelo's work, visit his website at www.angelokritikos.com Be sure to pick up a copy of W Magazine's May issue to see his feature.

the archives