Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Modelnomics???


For those of you that don’t read The Economist, Forbes, or Business Week, we have decided to give you economic update from a different perspective. One of our SOMW members has made some good points from a vantage point that is familiar to many of us. Here’s what they had to say:

How does it feel to model during the recession? How should models react to the current economic situation? These are questions that have hit all of us in the industry these past few years. There is no way getting around it, everyone is being affected by this. Instead of reflecting on how much of a bummer it is, lets use this great opportunity to show our character and develop a better image for the model community. Many times I've been in the situation to be distraught or discouraged about the lack of work due to this recession. I bank on bookings to help pay for school, and figuring out that companies are cutting back on advertising is something that was initially of great concern to me.

I've come to the realization that its not the amount of bookings or jobs I secure, but rather my attitude and how I display my emotions to others and to my bookers that is important during this economic crunch.

If we are to bring "model" away from the connotation of "dumb, ignorant, and mindless" let us start with how we act when money, the one entity that entices us to continue in this industry, is tight and not flowing like a faucet. There are some models doing great right now, making lots of money, and are not influenced by the economic situation. I applaud them, and hope they continue to be successful.

To those of us who've had to get other jobs, cut back on entertainment, or the daily cup of Starbucks let me encourage you to step back and remember the great opportunities we have being in this industry. Let us make a difference not with the money or jobs we book, but with the true character of all the models that make this industry so exciting to be a part of.


-Anonymous




Posts like these are the heart of SOMW! We want to hear more from you…

the archives